Why spending more money when you can easily paint your house with the handy paint sprayers?
The best paint sprayer must provide professional results at a homeowner price, literally saving thousands of dollars versus hiring a painting contractor. Finding the right spray gun, however, can sometimes be a tricky process. This is the complete paint sprayer reviews guide to make your work easier!
But, if you buy a cheap paint sprayer you wind up with some light spots and runs which make the entire job inexpensive mess. Remember that, you get what you pay for!
The paint sprayers are good to paint interior, house exterior walls, kitchen cabinets, furniture, etc. If you are a professional or a DIY hobbyist, paint sprayers make your job easier. Our best pick is the Graco Magnum X7 paint sprayer.
- Best Paint Sprayers 2018 (Quick Glance)
- How We Tested the Paint Sprayers?
- Safety Recommendations
- Best Paint Sprayers Review 2018
- 1. Graco Magnum 262805 X7 Cart Airless Paint sprayer
- 2. Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO 2 HVLP Spray System
- 3. Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
- 4. Graco Magnum 257025 Project Painter Plus Paint Sprayer
- 5. Graco16N673 Truecoat Handheld Electric Airless Paint Sprayer
- 6. HomeRight C800879 Power-Flo Pro 2800 Airless Paint Sprayers
- 7. Earlex HV5500 Spray Station
- 8. FLEXiO 590 Sprayer
- 9. Wagner 518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Sprayer
- 10. HomeRight C800766 Finish Max Fine Finisher
- Types of Paint Sprayers
- How to Choose the Best Paint Sprayer?
Best Paint Sprayers 2018 (Quick Glance)
Here are the best paint sprayers of 2018. This is the complete paint sprayer reviews guide to make your work easier!
How We Tested the Paint Sprayers?
For the past 5 months, our experts have studied about people who are using paint sprayers and how much of a mess it is or how steep the learning curve is.
Many paint sprayers are very easy to use and require minimal assembly out of the box. But you have to do little research to find out the best ones which suit your needs. So here at ConfusedMango, our experts did a great job for you. They reviewed more than 25+ paint sprayers and gave you the list of 10 best paint sprayers of 2018. Okay, before we proceed to check their reviews, it’s better to know about some of the safety measures you have to follow before painting.
Here are some of the safety recommendations to follow while painting yourself.
- We highly recommend you to wear full safety goggles and dust masks. The full goggles will keep mist out of your eyes. Also, it is less painful to clean goggle lenses than your normal eye lenses (Highly recommended).
- If you are not on a tight budget, then get the full face shield to protect your entire face and a coveralls to cover your entire body (optional).
- We also recommend getting one of the handheld spray shields for areas you don’t or can’t mask.
- If you are doing big projects or you are a contractor, provide a good respirator for each and every person working around the area, even if they are just helping move the ladders.
Best Paint Sprayers Review 2018
Here is the detailed review guide on top rated paint sprayers available in the market.
1. Graco Magnum 262805 X7 Cart Airless Paint sprayer
Graco makes the best paint sprayers in the world! The Graco Magnum x7 Airless paint sprayer is the best one in our list of 10 best paint sprayers 2018. This airless paint sprayer is ideal for painting all interior or exterior home projects, decks, siding, cabinets, cars, garages, small houses, stains, fences and small jobs.
With cost-efficient and high-speed performance, the GracoMagnum X7 deserves its first place on the list of top rated paint sprayers. Equipped with long-lasting, stainless-steel piston pumps, Magnum X7 airless paint sprayer lets you spray a wide variety of coating from stains to heavy latex with ease.
Okay, regarding the performance, it sprays latex real nice and heavy, and there is no need for thinning down paints. The clean-up is easy if you have buckets and a garden hose.
This paint spraying machine is a light weighted one. It makes the work easier for those who like to paint for a long period of time.
We do not regret buying this unit an all everyone that owns a house should have one of these airless sprayers.
- Easily adjust pressure to have ultimate control of paint flow.
- The suction tube is flexible. 5-gallon portable paint container with cart.
- Equipped with good power flush.
- Reverse-A-Clean feature quickly clears tip plugs with a twist.
- Professional sprayer, good price, works really nice.
Wish it came with a longer spray hose in the future. So as of now, we highly recommend getting the 30″ extension sprayer and the 50 foot hose (if you need to spray second and third story homes)
2. Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO 2 HVLP Spray System
This is our second best paint sprayer in the top 10 list. This one is the HVLP turbine based sprayer system, whereas the above Graco X7 is the Airless sprayer.
The Fuji 2202 Semi-Pro 2 HVLP is exactly what we were was looking for. It gives a consistent and smooth flow of paint without a ton of overspray. You can also adjust the amount of paint that comes out, the air pressure and spray fan.
So why is this a great sprayer? Everything seems very high quality with this Fuji Semi Pro Paint sprayer. The gun feels solid and the plastic parts are durable. The hose feels very strong yet more flexible than expected. The turbine is heavy and solid.
We have tried the Semi Pro 2 system to spray general finishes stain, their exterior acrylic top coat, kitchen cabinets, Water-borne finishes (such as paint, primer, water-borne stains, poly, etc.) and their polyurethane topcoat. The end result was awesome! The turbine and sprayer worked as expected and the controls were easy to learn and implement.
The Fuji spray system also comes with an instruction manual, tools that you will need for clean-up and a viscosity cup. We would definitely recommend this for a beginner to moderate user, as it is easy to learn and use
- Highly adjustable spray fan.
- 3mm Air cap set installed.
- 25 feet Hose includes air control valve to reduce overspray and bounce back.
- Metal Turbine case with handy gun holder.
- Professional non-bleed Spray Gun with Adjustable Pattern Fan Control.
- Rock Solid design and construction.
3. Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
Another awesome airless paint sprayer from Graco. This Magnum x5 sprayer has little bit lower configuration than the magnum x7 sprayer. But this doesn’t make a great impact on its performance and it is also one of the top rated paint sprayers.
When compared to X7, X5 lags some performance metrics. But the X5 itself is enough for you to paint interior or exterior, decks, siding, fences, doors, and cars.
The x5 paint sprayer is very well made and durable despite its light weight. Even though the set-up takes a lot longer than a brush or roller painting, you can get an even pattern and good finishing once you set up properly.
This Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer sprays a wide variety of coatings from stains to heavy latex and acrylics. Like all sprayers, it does a great job of reaching areas that are not readily accessible with brushes or rollers. The most impressive features of this paint sprayer are the self-priming and two-way self-cleaning nozzle.
The Package Includes
- SG2 Metal Spray Gun
- 25 ft. Duraflex paint hose
- Operation Manual
- PowerFlush adapter
- Pump Armor storage fluid
- Quick Start-Up Guide
- RAC IV 515 SwitchTip
Note: If you are using a heavy paint like exterior latex then ensure that you water down the paint. If it is too thick then the sprayer will not be able to draw the paint and it will lose suction.
- Annual usage is up to 125 gallons per year.
- Fast and easy cleaning with the PowerFlush Adapter
- Flexible Suction Tube.
- Fully adjustable pressure to give ultimate flow control of the paint.
- PushPrime button gives fast and reliable start-up
- Stainless Steel Piston Pump allows you to spray paint unthinned at high pressure.
- Supports up to a maximum tip size of .015 inch
- The paint hose is 25 feet. But can extend up to 75 ft.
4. Graco Magnum 257025 Project Painter Plus Paint Sprayer
No wonder that we were added 4 Graco’s products in this 10 top rated paint sprayers list of 2018. Graco deserves its place for its design and hard work.Since 1926, Graco Inc. has been a leading provider of spray equipment and pumps.
Our tests show that priming is very easy with this Graco Magnum 257025 Painter Plus Sprayer and the pump only operates when output is demanded which reduces the noise and pump wear and tear. The Set-up is easy enough, the spray performance is exceptional, and clean-up is also a breeze.
It is small so it is easy to carry from room to room and can handle a 1 gallon can of paint and a 5 gallon can with no problem.Transitioning to another paint color is easy and cleaning it was also a breeze.
This sprayer for the price is very good for the home owner or anybody looking for a paint sprayer. You can use it if have a lot of stuff that needs to be painted/stained/oiled.
- Annual usage is up to 50 gallons per year.
- Built in storage compartments keep sprayer accessories together.
- Can support up to 50 ft of paint hose.
- The whole thing comes apart very easily for cleaning.
- Flexible Suction Tube.
- Reverse-A-Clean feature quickly clears tip plugs with a twist.
- Fully adjustable pressure to give you ultimate control of paint flow.
- Good Offset handle to carry paint and sprayer together.
- Stainless Steel Piston Pump allows you to spray paint unthinned at high pressure.
- Maximum supported tip size is .015 inch.
5. Graco16N673 Truecoat Handheld Electric Airless Paint Sprayer
Another best handheld airless paint sprayer from Graco! This sprayer is ideal for small jobs and for the price this is an excellent spray station.
Hand held sprayers have always had a bad reputation for being underpowered or sputtering. But Graco breaks this point with its pressure pattern.
The TrueCoat Pro II electric airless paint sprayer is designed by Graco with ProSpray Technology. This technology includes innovative piston pump design that delivers a professional finish.
This handheld airless paint sprayer is perfect for painting ceilings, cars, doors, decks, kitchen cabinets, fences, siding, walls, etc. The paint comes out evenly and disregards the reviews about it not working for ceilings. As like other paint sprayers from Graco, the set-up and clean-up of this sprayer are easy.
Another thing we like about this handheld sprayer is the reversible tip. If the sprayer gets clogged, just reverse the tip, and spray back into the bucket. It unclogs it and you can’t get this feature with the cheaper sprayers.
- Ideal for 4-8 quart projects like walls, garage doors, shutters, furniture, railings, ceilings, doors, and decks.
- Spray a wide variety of coatings from stains to heavy latex and acrylics.
- The TrueCoat Pro II is fully repairable to extend the life of your sprayer.
- No thinning required.
- The Tilt-N-Spray pendulum suction tube provides a full motion of spraying from up, down or sideways without losing prime.
6. HomeRight C800879 Power-Flo Pro 2800 Airless Paint Sprayers
The HomeRight Power-Flo Pro 2800 airless paint sprayer is one of the best paint sprayers to handle big projects like painting the exterior of your house. It sprayed without incident and coverage was good.
It is able to spray five gallons of paint in as little as 20 minutes, which is 2,000 square feet in 30 minutes! So, with this HomeRight Power-Flo Pro 2800 airless paint sprayer, painting the exterior of your house is going to be a breeze! It applies an even coating to uneven surfaces without a brush, drips or roller marks.
Super easy to set up, use and clean. We found no problem with priming or painting or cleaning.Over spray is adjustable and just really depends on the paint you’re using. This paint sprayer is suitable for painting several places, including house siding, decks, fences, interior walls, ceilings, closets, doors, trim and crown moldings and more.
- 2-year limited warranty
- 35-grade mesh filter on inlet hose
- 515 reversible spray tip for cleaning a clog fast
- Contractor-grade metal spray gun with swivel
- Fast prime switch means quick set-up
- Ideal for house siding, decks, fences, interior walls and ceilings
- Interior or outdoor paint sprayer for many large projects
- Interior paint sprayer has replacement filter in handle
- Max tip size is .015
- Non-kink forming inlet hose draws from 1 gallon or 5-gallon containers
- Pressure adjusting control knob makes adjusting the spray pattern easy
- Wear-resistant non-sticking ceramic inlet valve
7. Earlex HV5500 Spray Station
The Earlex HV5500 Spray station is a great sprayer, for the home shop, serious/semi-pro hobbyist, and perhaps a small production shop.
For smaller projects, this spraying machine is quite usable, especially since the spray head uses standard industry parts. This spraying machine produces a reasonably uniform pattern and suitable for light home use. But if you want to spray a whole house, you have to buy a more suitable system for larger tanks.
With a very high-quality spray gun, this paint sprayer is excellent for furniture. This is a cheap alternative for the price of the HVLP sprayers.
The sprayer is lightweight, has an excellent Teflon coated cup, and an easily adjustable spray head. Most sprayers we have tried are for large surface areas and spray too heavily. But this is perfect for finishing wood furniture.
- Three spray patterns; two for flat surfaces, one for detailed work like spindles or rough surfaces
- 1 quart Teflon layered container for easy loading and clean-up
- 13′ paint hose and 5-1/2′ power cable give you mobility finish the job easier.
- Adjustable 1″ to 12″ fan width.
- Built-in carry handle makes mobility easy
- Built-in spray gun storage area.
- Easily up and downward carrying capability of the tube due to its slanting structure.
- Fast Push N’ Click pattern switch.
- Stainless steel fortified tip and needle for enhanced paint flow.
8. FLEXiO 590 Sprayer
The Wagner Flexio 590 is an indoor/outdoor hand-held sprayer kit for all projects. Excellent product that sprays unthinned latex with ease.
Our tests show that it works great, Easy cleanup, covers quickly as well as evenly. Coverage was good but difficult to see how thick it covers with white on white. After spraying the paint appeared to slightly orange peel, but it dried perfectly smooth.
One thing we love about this spraying machine is that you can set the guns down and they stay upright without spilling paint.
You can use this paint sprayer to paint exterior house/sheds furniture, interior room, small fence/deck, cabinets & trim, small craft object, and large fence/deck.
This Wagner paint sprayer is best for exterior latex, interior latex, transparent / semi-transparent stain, and solid stain, wood sealers, lacquers/urethanes, and chalk/milk paints.
- Detail finish nozzle has round, horizontal, and vertical pattern options.
- iSpray nozzle adjustments include horizontal or vertical and wide or narrow patterns.
- Lock-n-go system for easy cleaning and color change.
- Material flow control for proper paint flow.
- Sprays an 8 ft. by 10 ft. the surface in 1-5 minutes and can spray up to 8 gals. per hour.
- 1-1/2 qt. cup covers up to 125 sq. ft.
- Up to 8.0 gallons per hour production.
- 50% quieter operation and 20% lighter design than standard sprayers.
- X-Boost turbine generates 3 times the power of similar sprayers
- 1-year warranty
- Sprays unthinned interior and exterior latex paints, stains, sealers, urethanes and oil-based materials.
9. Wagner 518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Sprayer
This is the cheap and best paint sprayer for home use. You can’t get any other sprayer like this with a lot of features under 100 dollars. It is not a heavy duty sprayer to throw on a lot of paint fast, but good for home use.
Even though we experienced bad performance with the old Wagner paint sprayers, this sprayer was a pleasure to use and clean-up, when used with Latex house paint. We are very pleased with the dry time and the minimal overspray even after extra line of coating.
The turbine is powerful enough for the system and no louder than a vacuum cleaner, the hose is sturdy and long enough for the small jobs and you can vary the pressure to meet your finishes atomization requirements.
The spray gun provides smoother operation and the plastic construction gives more flexibility while painting. It can be used for interiors or exterior needs and can spray thinned latex, oils, stains, lacquers, varnishes, and sealants.
- Compact lightweight spray gun to reach hard areas.
- Powerful Two Stage Turbine sprays latex, as well as thinner materials such as lacquers and stains.
- Professional Grade metal cup for smaller fine finish applications.
- The 20 Foot High Flex Air Hose.
- Variable Air Pressure Control reduces the overspray with thin materials.
- Variable flow control covers large spray surface down to detail work.
- 3 spray patterns
- Variable flow trigger dials in spray pattern width from 1 inch to 10 inch.
10. HomeRight C800766 Finish Max Fine Finisher
In our top rated paint sprayer reviews, this one is the last sprayer. This HomeRight C800766 Finish Max Fine Finisher is very cheap when compared to the above-mentioned ones and the best paint sprayer for the money. It has a three-way spray setting which provides the detailed control over the job.
- Circular 45 Degree Pattern – ideal for spraying irregular or round objects
- Horizontal 90 Degree Pattern – ideal for spraying up and down.
- Vertical 180 Degree Pattern – ideal for spraying side to side.
If you like to use this sprayer for home use, then definitely this one is the wonderful pick for you. The noticeable things of HomeRight C800766 Finish Max Fine Finisher are its lightness and affordability which have made it the best HVLP sprayer at an affordable price.
You can use with latex and chalk type, polyurethane, primer, milk, stain, varnish, specialty cabinet paints, clear sealer, acrylics, and enamels.
It generally takes longer to prepare the paint and clean the unit after use than the actual painting time. The sprayer is made up of plastic materials, so it may not be durable for long use.
- Adjustable spray control enhances precision for improved outcomes.
- Three different spray patterns – horizontal, vertical, and circular.
- Brass spray needle and housing for longer life and improved performance
- Adjusting the trigger control knob can change your spray pattern from 1” to 6” wide.
- Sprays coatings on evenly and without brush marks.
Types of Paint Sprayers
Here are the types of paint sprayers and their uses.
1. Conventional Sprayers
The Conventional sprayers are the ones that are used from the olden days. It is also called as the high-pressure sprayers. The highly compressed air trapped inside the container is sent through the hose attached to the container to get a broad and thick spray of paint.
This method waste half of the paint due to high pressure. Even though the work is easier, you can’t get even coated paint. Also, it cannot control over spraying.
While they are cheap and efficient in painting, it produces more noise while painting. So obviously, the new age painters go for HVLP or Airless paint sprayers.
2. High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) Sprayers
The HVLP spraying machines use a large volume of air at a low pressure to finish the coating. This type of low-pressure sprayers avoids overspray that is caused while using high-pressure paint sprayers. The paint spray coming from the nozzle of this machine will be narrower and easier to control.
So, HVLP spraying systems are helpful in getting into tight areas for fine detail work and to reduce overspray. With an HVLP system, the transfer efficiency is between 65% and 90%.
There are two ways to achieve the benefits of HVLP spraying. One is to purchase a system that includes a turbine (to generate high-volume, low-pressure air), a spray gun and a hose. If you already have a compressor, the other option is to buy a conversion gun. A set of chambers, or baffles, inside the conversion gun changes the incoming high pressure to a lower pressure at higher volume.
The HVLP paint sprayers are suitable to paint Office furniture, Bathtubs, shower stalls, Wall tile, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycles, Doors, Fences, Shutters, Countertops, Shelves, Wrought-iron, lamp posts, Woodworking, Trim Works, kitchen Cabinets, Piping, Lockers, Industrial Equipment, etc.
This HVLP sprayer is ideal for Automotive Finishes, Lacquers, Oil or water-based enamels and house paints, Solid-body stains, Stains, Urethanes, Varnishes, Adhesives, Aluminum, Cellulose, Chlorinated rubber, Creosote, Enamel, Stone finish paints, Epoxy, Fluorescents, Hammer finish, Latex, Marine finishes, Primers, Texture coatings, etc
There are two types of HVLP paint spraying. The first type is the HVLP turbine sprayer and the second one is the HVLP conversion spray guns.
a. Turbine paint sprayers
The HVLP turbine sprayer system is an excellent choice if you want to achieve maximum accuracy and have complete control over your painting project.
These HVLP turbine sprayers are ideal for smaller objects and complex surfaces. Also, with this type of sprayers, you can achieve a professional level of work at your home.
b. HVLP conversion spray guns
The HVLP conversion gun converts the standard high-pressure air compressor into a soft spray HVLP spray system.
This is the next type of HVLP spray guns. These conversion spray guns are not good for thick paints like Latex, even though you can get a larger nozzle set to paint thicker paints.
3. Airless Paint Sprayers
The airless paint sprayers mean no air is mixed in or with your paint. In this type of spraying systems, the paint coming from the nozzle is adjustable so that you can customize it to your needs.
The airless paint sprayers are the widely using spraying system nowadays. It covers a large area within few minutes.
It has many advantages such as you can get an even pattern of paintings, the coating penetrates better into pits and crevices, reduced overflow, the fast setting of paint, easy handling, etc.
The airless paint sprayers are suitable for all kinds of interior and exterior paint jobs.
You can get the basics of airless spraying at the leading paint sprayer manufacturer Graco’s Page.
Note: Airless sprayers operate at extremely high pressure. Since the paint ejecting from the nozzle at high pressure may cause serious injuries, you should be very careful while handling airless paint sprayers.
4. Handheld Paint Sprayers
The electric handheld sprayers are very easy to use, highly durable, and deliver accurate spraying control. It sprays paint with the help of highly compressed air.
The handheld electric airless sprayers are ideal for all small projects. You can use the handheld paint sprayer for interior or exterior painting projects such as painting different types of furniture, kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, dressers, spray a deck or garage door, etc.
The handheld paint sprayer is also suitable for some smaller outdoor projects such as painting fences, garden painting, small decorations, etc.
The handheld paint sprayer is helpful in spraying the following type of materials.
- Solvent or water-based paints
5. Professional Paint Sprayers
The best professional paint sprayers are very powerful and efficient to finish the large projects. Mostly, it was used by the painting professionals or contractors to finish the big projects like painting exteriors, multi-storied houses, companies, etc.
These sprayers are the top-notch quality products to make the work easier. It is used to complete a lot of projects with little time. So, professionals use this sprayer to save their time on large projects.
How to Choose the Best Paint Sprayer?
The best paint sprayers are designed to cover a large surface area in less time. It reduces our work in setting up, cleaning, unclogging by its performance. Most importantly, it should reduce overspray and give even coating and fine finishing.
You have to choose your best paint sprayer depends on your purpose of painting. It includes your painting material, which one you like to paint, its coverage, time to finish the painting work, and your budget.
If you look through the best paint sprayer reviews here, we tested and presented the top rated paint sprayers. They are ideal for your purpose. The only thing you have to consider is the budget.
You can get high-end paint sprayers at around $400. This will be helpful in all the cases and if you are a professional painter, then this the is the must.
The HVLP painting machine is available between $100 and $300, depends on its features. These are good for home interior and exteriors and even for small jobs.
After 5 months of rigorous testing, our experts listed the 10 top rated paint sprayers with their technical specifications. You can check this from the above table. Hope this will be helpful in getting your best paint sprayer. Find the best sprayer today and it will reduce your work to a greater extent.
What to Consider Before Buying a Paint Sprayer?
You should consider some of the features to choose a paint sprayer. These features solely depend on your need for painting.
- Pressure or Horse power
- Tip Size
- Hose length
- Sprayer weight
- Recommended Annual Usage
- Power Flush
In a Nutshell,
There are many paint sprayers available out there. So, choosing the best sprayer for your need is always a difficult task. So here we presented our detailed expert’s review of paint sprayers.
We always recommend you to get the top-notch product on our list Graco Magnum’s X7 airless sprayer to finish your job easier. If you like to go for budgeted sprayers, then buy Max HVLP Sprayer from Wagner.
The paint sprayers are good to paint interior, house exterior walls, kitchen cabinets, furniture, etc. If you are a professional or a DIY hobbyist, paint sprayers make your job easier.
Hope our best paint sprayer reviews can help you find the right sprayer for your upcoming project.